Whether you want to modify the original configuration or create a configuration. The steps below will provide you with information about how to install and configure Hard drives and RAID controllers in your server.
At time of system purchase, most Dell systems come preconfigured with the RAID type you selected and are functional out of box. Typically, in this situation, no customer action is required since it is configured and working.
If after receiving the unit, you want to perform a change:
If after receiving the unit, you want to create a configuration:
- Creating a configuration
Migrations and Changes to a RAID configuration:
The RAID level may be changed through the software or controller interface without data loss depending on: the controller itself, the original RAID type, the type you are looking to go to. Not all migrations are supported. If the migration is not possible, it requires a complete wipe of the hard drives and re-creation from scratch.
For more information about RAID Migrations and expansions, please refer to the Dell PowerEdge RAID controller user manual or the following articles:
- Reconfiguration on the PERC6
- Reconfiguration on the PERC H700 and H800
- Reconfiguration on the PERC H310, H710, H710P, and H810
Creating a configuration:
1. Identifying the controller and Creating the RAID configuration.
The RAID configurations available in your server depend on the specifications of the PowerEdge RAID (PERC) controller installed.
For more information about your PERC’s features, you can review the controller’s user guide or some of the other articles available:
- Article on Dell PowerEdge RAID Controllers
- User Guides: www.dell.com/support and enter your system’s service tag to access the documentation.
The following article details the steps to create, initialize, and manage virtual disks using your PowerEdge RAID controller:
2. Installing the Operating System and out of the box setup.
You find below several articles on how to first set up your Dell PowerEdge Server:
- Out of The Box Setup Information for Dell PowerEdge 12G and 13G Servers
- Out of the Box Setup Information for Dell PowerEdge 11G Servers
- Out of The Box Setup information for Dell PowerEdge 10G Servers
For more information, always refer to the user manual available on www.dell.com/support.
3. Monitoring the HDDs and RAID configuration.
Several articles exist to cover the different maintenance options available on your Dell PowerEdge server to ensure it has an optimal performance.
The articles are gathered on this resource library: Maintenance/Monitoring: automated and manual operations